Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Griesbach Revisited



Today's post involves more old artifacts at the former Griesbach Military base that has been converted into new subdivisions. There is still a fair amount of old buildings, foundations and other odd artifacts that haven't been completely removed yet. Today's topic shows one of the stranger monuments.


I was working near this odd structure and took a few photos of what is still left of it. I really had no idea what I was looking at so I decided to focus on it specifically. This is located next to (and left) of an older building currently being used as a Liquidation Store. From the road, it's hidden in the trees and even mostly obscured by dirt piles on most sides. It is also fenced off (although not very well) to keep trouble out although, based on graffiti and one building appearing to be burnt out, not really working.

I went home that night and looked it up on Google Earth. The monument from the air is even odder from that view than it was on the ground. However, upon closer inspection, I came to realize that this was quite possibly an old shooting range basing my conclusion on the divot marks along the main back wall.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Who would have known this existed? I sure didn't