Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Heavy Rains in July 04




I was looking through my archive of photos that I have and came across a few photos from July of 2004 when Edmonton received a record rainfall. I remember that it was a Sunday afternoon and I had just come home with my family after a weekend of camping in Pigeon Lake.

I had just sold my house and was about to move into my new one in about two weeks. When the downpour hit the city, my new house was located only a few blocks from the worst flooding that the Whitemud had ever seen. Luckily, my house received no damage. Unfortunately, many of my neighbours, only a few houses down, weren't so lucky. The West Edmonton Mall also flooded around the skating rink, damaging a few stores on the main floor because the skylights gave way under the water weight.

I did not take any of these photos. I acquired them at random off the internet either that same day or within a few days after the incident. I originally captured these to send back home to friends and family (I think) who were probably hearing about it on the news that evening. Unfortunately, I also don't know who to accredit for them either. And for that, I apologize to the original photographers.

Incidentally, that's not snow or pollution floating on the water. It's hail.








No comments: